In order to ease land disputes after the Revolutionary War, the fledgling state of Connecticut was extended to a 120-mile piece of land in Northeastern Ohio, which became known as the Connecticut Western Reserve.
In the late fall of 1798, Ephraim Quinby bought 441 acres of land from the Connecticut Land Company and named that land after Moses Warren, surveyor of the Western Reserve. Soon after the town was plotted, four acres were set aside in the center of the community to be used as the village square, and still exist as historic Courthouse Square Park to this day.
In 1801, Warren was established as the seat of Trumbull County, which at that time encompassed the entire Connecticut Western Reserve. General Arthur St. Clair, Governor of the Northwest Territory, is said to have selected Warren over regional rivals Cleveland and Youngstown as a result of political support received from local leaders. This distinction led to Warren's status as religious, social, and commercial hub of the early Western Reserve; for more than thirty years after its settlement, Warren was the largest and most prosperous town in the region.
The construction of rail lines was delayed in the Mahoning Valley due to the economic advantages presented by canal and lake shipping, as well as river traffic in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. As a result, instead of growing into a center for manufacturing and transportation, the handsome town known for its beauty became a refined county seat for the remainder of the nineteenth century. Warren would not see considerable industrialization, urban growth, or immigration until the beginning of the twentieth century.